Father sues over baby’s remains found at Gary funeral home

Funeral home spokesman Sean Howard makes a statement and takes questions from reporters at a press conference held at the Smith, Bizzell, Warner and Sons Funeral Home.-
Funeral home spokesman Sean Howard makes a statement and takes questions from reporters at a press conference at the Smith, Bizzell, Warner and Sons Funeral Home, Thursday, March 5, 2015, in Gary, Ind. Howard said the remains of two mummified or skeletonized babies found inside small boxes above ceiling tiles at the funeral home in northwestern Indiana were placed there by an employee last fall and taken down the same day by the manager of the facility. (AP Photo/The Times, John J. Watkins) MANDATORY CREDIT; CHICAGO LOCALS OUT; GARY OUT

GARY, Ind. (AP) — The father of a stillborn baby has filed a lawsuit against the operators of a Gary funeral home where his son’s remains had been stored for years without being buried.

Wyatt Puryear filed suit Friday against former and current operators of Smith, Bizzell and Warner and Son Funeral Home. The remains of his son and another baby were found inside boxes above ceiling tiles.

Puryear thought his son, who was delivered in 1996, had been buried. The suit claims Puryear was shown the funeral plot where his son was to be buried by funeral home workers, and then was told to leave they while finished burying him.

The lawsuit also accused the funeral home of not filing a fetal death certificate with the state and not properly disposing of remains. Marissa McDermott, an attorney representing Puryear, told The Times of Munster that more defendants could be added as they investigate previous funeral home owners.

“At this point there are more questions than answers,” she said. “This lawsuit is seeking answers.”

Funeral home spokesman Sean Howard has said the remains were “inherited” by current owners, and that they were being kept in a cabinet when an employee placed them above ceiling tiles in September. Howard said the remains were taken down the same day by the home’s manager.

The remains were retrieved by the Lake County Coroner’s Office earlier this month. Howard said the funeral home had followed guidance from the coroner’s office over the course of five months.

A statement from Walker Law Group on behalf of the funeral home’s current owners says there’s no legal connection between them and former owners who didn’t bury Puryear’s son. The Post-Tribune reports the law group claims the remains were “abandoned” by the family and that the funeral home couldn’t find relatives after “an extensive search.”

A complaint against the funeral home was filed this month by the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s