INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A family still reeling from a tragic loss is now gathering what’s left after a fire destroyed their home late Tuesday night.
It happened on East 77th Street near Dean Road just after 10 p.m. Firefighters believe it started in the dryer and say the family lost nearly everything.
Two young men, 16 and 18 years old, were living in the home with their mother, but the fire department said she recently fell ill and is being cared for elsewhere. The boys’ grandmother was in Indianapolis from Florida helping them pack up to move into their aunt’s house when the fire started.
After his death a GoFundMe page was set up to help the boys and their mother. It raised more than $38,000.
Firefighters say a cat was killed in the fire and another is still unaccounted for. The boys are staying at their aunt’s house. Firefighters were able to salvage a box containing a crystal nativity set, which they say was unscathed.
“The boys were overjoyed at the find. Despite their tragic loss and the devastating turn of recent events in their lives, they simply smiled and said it was a sign from their dad that it will all be OK,” said Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith.