Fishers Fire Department teaches fireworks safety with hot dog

(Video screen grab)

FISHERS, Ind. (WISH) — The Fishers Fire Department has been spreading messages of fireworks safety the past few days via Facebook. Some of the posts have been serious, and some have been a bit more tongue-in-cheek.

The Fishers Fire Department posted a top 10 list of ways you know you’re “doing fireworks wrong.” They included, “If there is a road runner watching you, you’re doing it wrong.”

The department also wanted to demonstrate how dangerous sparklers can be, so they posted a video of a sparkler that burns through a hot dog:

In all seriousness, the Fishers Fire Department wants people to know that fireworks can be dangerous. Sparklers burn at about 1,200 degrees, and 41 percent of fireworks injuries are caused by them, according to the department.

The department cautioned safety when handling fireworks. People should not put used fireworks in the trash without soaking them in water. Before touching a firework you think is a dud, be sure to spray it with or soak it in water.

See more tips here:

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s