Health care industry: Healthy Indiana Plan working smoothly

(File Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Industry representatives say the Indiana’s expanded health care program for low-income residents is functioning smoothly so far.

Federal officials in January approved expanding the existing Healthy Indiana Plan into a larger program that Gov. Mike Pence has dubbed HIP 2.0. It uses federal Medicaid funds under President Barack Obama’s health care law to cover people with incomes under 138 percent of the federal poverty level.

The Evansville Courier & Press reports that state enrollment in HIP 2.0 has climbed to nearly 290,000 participants.

Industry officials said during a Thursday public hearing in Indianapolis that the program has functioned smoothly in the months since its implementation.

State Medicaid Director Joe Moser says the state is fielding inquiries from other states on how the program works. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s