Make sure your kids know:
• How to call 911 or “0” in emergencies and how to use a public phone. Help them practice making emergency phone calls. Be sure emergency numbers (police, fire, poison control and emergency medical) are by all the phones.
• Their full name, address, and phone number (including the area code), plus your work phone number. If you have a cellular phone and/or beeper, teach your children these numbers as well.
• How to walk confidently and stay alert to what’s going on around them.
• To walk and play with friends, not alone.
• To refuse rides or gifts from anyone, unless it’s someone both you and your child know and trust.
• To tell a trusted adult immediately if anyone, no matter whom, touches them in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable.
Source: Greenwood Police Department.