• Stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings, wherever you are.
• Don’t be taken by surprise. Be aware and be prepared.
• Stand tall and walk confidently. Don’t show fear. Don’t look like a victim.
• Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away and get help if necessary.
• Choose busy streets and avoid going through vacant lots, alleys, or other deserted areas. At night, walk in well-lit areas whenever possible.
• Try not to walk or jog alone. Take a friend or neighbor along for company.
• Get to know the neighborhoods and neighbors where you live and work.
• Carry your purse close to your body and keep a firm grip on it.
• Avoid pickpockets by carrying your walled in an inside coat pocket or front trouser pocket.
Source: Greenwood Police Department.