INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — CNN will include Carly Fiorina in the next Republican Presidential debate and a key Indiana Republican may have influenced that decision.
Lt. Governor Sue Ellspermann sent CNN an email this week. She signed it along with 200 other Republicans around the country.
It told the cable network that it would be turning its back on Republican voters if Carly Fiorina was left out of the debate.
This story starts back in April when Fiorina spoke at a downtown Indianapolis hotel. Even then, she was talking about the debates.
“I’m reasonably confident that if i decide to jump in the race,” she told TheStatehouseFile.com, “I will be on that debate stage.”
At that luncheon, she met Ellspermann, who was so impressed she eventually became the co-chair of Fiorina’s Indiana campaign.
In Crawfordsville Friday, Ellspermann talked about the letter she sent after helping to round up co-signers from around the country.
“The message really challenged, encouraged, requested that CNN reconsider the criteria that they had established,” she said.
Fiorina’s feisty performance in the so-called “Happy Hour” debate last month is also a factor and so is her rise in the polls since then.
But Ellspermann thinks the letter made a difference.
“That letter was timed to make sure that it was heard at CNN,” she said.
And it creates a direct tie from an Indianapolis stage to the Presidential debate stage.