Are you ready for a stomach full of German and American foods, beer and wine?!! Well, if you’re headed to this year’s Oktoberfest, you’ll have plenty to choose from! Menu items will include bratwurst with sauerkraut, grilled hot dogs, ginormous soft pretzels, beer cheese soup with pretzel bread-stick, cheeseburgers, potato pancakes, roasted sweet corn, and more. There will also be two biergartens featuring local, domestic, imported beers and a variety of German wines!
Oktoberfest takes place Friday, Sept. 18 at the north half of Monument Circle. Indy’s beloved Polkaboy will be rocking the monument from 7:00 – 11:00 pm. This event is open to the public and there is no admission charge. A portion of the event proceeds will benefit the Soldiers & Sailors Monument and the Indiana War Memorials Foundation.
Today, we were joined by the catering manager and executive chef of the Columbia Club for a taste of all the goodness!
Here are today’s recipes:
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle light beer
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Add all ingredients to list
- Melt the butter or margarine in a 4 1/2 quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce and stir well. Add the beer and raise the heat to high and boil for 3 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. Add the chicken broth and bring the soup back to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer.
- Combine the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the half-and-half and shredded cheese to the soup. Stir constantly until the cheese melts. Then stir in the cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until the soup is thick, about 2 minutes. Serve garnished with bacon bits.
- Prep 10 Minutes, Cook 25 Minutes, Ready 35 Minutes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in potatoes and onion.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In batches, drop heaping tablespoons full of the potato mixture into the skillet. Press to flatten. Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Prep 25 Minutes, Cook 6 Minutes, Ready 45 Minutes
To learn more about Oktoberfest, visit www.indianapolisoktoberfest.com or www.facebook.com/Monument-Circle-Oktoberfest-125479714211508/timeline/.