INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Researchers world-wide reveal a poor diet is one of the leading causes for early death. This fall eat pumpkins-o-plenty. The orange super-star of autumn foods is a healthy powerhouse that can be used as an appetizer, in an entrée, dessert or side dish.
Thai Pumpkin Stir Fry
Serves: 2 – 4
2 cups roasted ‘Pie’ pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (recipe for baking pumpkin below)
1-1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced thin
1 cup kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped
1/2 cup scallions (use white and green sections) cut into 1 lengths
½ cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. raw honey
2 Tbsp. wheat-free soy sauce to taste
1/4 lime for squeezing
• Heat coconut oil in sauté pan over med-high heat. Add the jalapeno and garlic and fry until the garlic softens. Not overcooked.
• Add the kale and allow it to wilt.
• Now add the pumpkin, toss to coat with oil, and add 2 Tbsp. soy sauce.
• Add soy sauce, honey, salt and pepper.
• Turn the heat to low and simmer for one or two minutes. If it begins to dry out add more water to make a little sauce.
• Don’t walk away or over mix.
• When pumpkin is warmed (still a tad firm), add the scallions and squeeze a bit of lime juice over the mixture. Cook for 30 seconds more and remove from the heat.
• Serve over a bed of quinoa or brown rice.
• Garnish with chopped almonds.
Roasting a 1 to 2 pound Pie Pumpkin
A sharp knife
9 x 13 baking pan
1 small pie pumpkin
• Preheat oven to 350F and grab a small 2-3 pound sugar pumpkin.
• First sharpen your knife. You don’t want to use a dull knife on any squash.
• Slice the stem off before slicing in half so you don’t have to slice through the stem. Remove the top.
• Slice in half.
• With a sharp-edged metal tablespoon with a sharp edge or a metal ice cream scoop, remove the seeds & guts.
• Place face down in the 9 x 13 pan. Pour in water so it’s about ¼ inch up the side of the gourd.
• Roast at 350F for about 35-40 minutes. The exact time will vary depending on the size of the pumpkin(s) and you may need more or less time.
• The skin will be slightly darker and you should be able to poke a fork easily through.
• While it’s still warm, peel off the skin much like you would a roasted beet.
• Cut into 1 inch cubes.
Side dish suggestion: At this point, mash the orange gold like mashed potatoes and add butter, cinnamon, sautéed onions, honey and a pinch of salt.