The word “gluten” is likely something you’ve only heard a lot of lately, but for people who have a gluten allergy, it mean be a different way of life. Today on Indy Style, we learn more about the Gluten Free Food Allergy Festival, coming up this weekend at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. To help us out, Leanna from Harry & Izzy’s chats about the restaurant’s gluten-free menu and makes us a simple dish that’ll be featured at this year’s festival. Event director for the fest, Shelia Cafferty, also joins in and tells us why this event is such a staple for many families looking for the safest and healthiest ways to feed their families.
Here are some important features of gluten and the upcoming festival:
– What is the Gluten Free Food Allergy Fest? It’s a celebration of all things gluten-free at one venue. Products range from a variety of different foods, supplements, cosmetics, lotions, shampoos. What this does is really give the gluten-free consumer a chance to try these products before they buy them.
-The event is being held at the Indianapolis State Fairgrounds, Exposition Hall/Oct. 24th & 25th, 10 am – 4 pm each day.
-You can buy tickets at the door or online at www.gffafest.com
-Come experience, gluten-free cooking demos and lectures from renown experts in the field.
-The show is owned and hosted by Gluten Free & More Magazine, the #1 magazine in the nation for people with food allergies and food sensitivities; tons of great recipes in every issue
-Huge changes in the gluten free market; There’s never been an easier time to live GF; Food is sooo much better than it was years ago
Here are the recipes featured on today’s show:
Marinade for Smoked Salmon
1/2 Cup Hot Water
2 tbls Brown Sugar
1 Tbls. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp. Garlic (chopped)
1 Orange Zest (Microplane)
1 lbs. Salmon trim
Marinade for 2 hours.
1 cup mayo
1 tsp cilantro
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp Agave syrup
1 tsp mint
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 lemons zest
1/2 limes juiced
Mince cilantro and parsley, place all ingredients in a bowl mix until smooth.
Mix flaked Salmon and Citrus Aioli then spread on cucumber slices and garnish with fresh dill.
– Panini Maker
– Food Processor
– Sonny Marie’s Gluten Free Dinner Rolls (found at Nature’s
– Pharm/Castleton location)
– Sandwich Meat (used Boar’s Head Brand, roasted turkey and chicken)
– Cheese (used Boar’s Head brand cheese, provolone and mild white cheddar)
– Shelia’s Basil Pistachio Pesto
Shelia’s Basil Pistachio Pesto
– 2 cups of Fresh Basil Leaves
– 2 cloves of garlic
– ¼ cup of pistachios
– ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
– dash of salt (I used pink Himalayan)
– dash of ground black pepper to taste
– ½ cup of grated parmesan
– 1 tsp of lemon juice
Combine basil, garlic, pistachios in a food processor until coarsely chopped, lemon juice. Add in the oil and cheese, salt & pepper until ingredients are fully incorporated. Apply liberally to your gluten-free sandwich bread for Panini’s.