SANTA CLAUS, Ind. (WISH) – The 2015 postmark for the holiday season has been selected in Santa Claus, Ind.
This year’s stamp was designed by Olivia Hitz from Santa Claus. She is currently studying at Indiana University.
The stamp will be available on Dec. 1.
The small Indiana town receives over 400,000 pieces of mail in December, according to the postmaster. Every year since 1983 the town selects a special picture postmark to cancel the postage stamps on holiday mail.
Anyone interested in getting the special cancellation on their holiday mail should follow the following guidelines released by the postmaster:
- Allow at least a 2-inch by 4-inch space in the stamp area for the picture postmark.
- Apply postage to cards or letters before bringing or mailing them to the post office.
- If you wish to mail Christmas cards to the post office, package them – with postage stamps already on them – in a sturdy envelope or box, and mail to: Postmaster, Santa Claus Station, Santa Claus, IN 47579-9998.
- The picture postmark is available on working days between December 1 and 24.
- The picture postmark must be requested by the postal customer.
- To ensure a good postmark imprint, do not enclose large or bulky items in your holiday mail (Ex: reindeer food, snowflakes, glitter, stickers, etc.).
- There is no charge for postmarking. However, there is a limit of 50 picture postmarks (hand cancellations) per person per day.