INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A family of eight is left without a home after a Saturday morning fire.
The blaze happened in the 400 block of Parkway Avenue on the near south side around 10:15 a.m.
IFD says a man smelled something burning inside his bedroom but then left the home.
When he got back, heavy smoke was pouring out of the home. His grandmother, wife and five children were not home.
Firefighters were able to get the fire out before flames reached the family’s Christmas gifts.
The homeowner said he had electrical issues earlier in the week.
No injuries were reported.
“The Indianapolis Fire Department would like to remind residents not to ignore unusual burn smells when you can’t locate a source,” IFD said in a media release. “Take a minute and feel the wall to see if there is heat present. Electrical issues can smolder inside walls without obvious presentation until it is too late – or worse yet – when your family is asleep. Please call the fire department and have us take a look with our Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC). Your family’s safety is our priority and by taking time to give us a call you just might be saving your family from harm. “