HENRY COUNTY, Ind. (WISH) – An ammonia leak at a Henry County co-op caused a brief evacuation of nearby homes Tuesday night.
It happened around 6 p.m. at the Harvest Land co-op in Dunreith. That’s near U.S. 40 and State Road 3.
Henry County Emergency Management Director Ronald Huffman said a visible vapor cloud could be seen along U.S. 40, which led to an emergency response from four agencies.
Huffman said the leak was caused by a leaky valve on a “nurse tank” at the co-op.
By 6:45 p.m. the leak was contained and nearby residents were allowed to return home. No injuries were reported.
Exposure to Anhydrous ammonia can be fatal or irritate the skin or lungs.