North side man robbed at gunpoint while walking to gym

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — An Indianapolis man said he is thankful to be alive after being robbed at gunpoint on the north side.

It happened near 79th Street and Harcourt Road early Monday morning.

The man told police he was walking to the gym from his apartment when three men approached him from behind.

Twenty-four-year-old Cameron Church said the suspects pointed a gun at his head and demanded his belongings.

He said he was able to run to a nearby hospital asking for help.

Church is still shaken up by what happened. He said he didn’t think a 15-minute walk to the gym would turn into a day he will never forget.

“It’s scary to think it’s, like, right outside of my neighborhood,” said Church. “Like you don’t think of this as a bad area 86th street it’s not too bad.”

Church said he normally goes to the gym at least three to four times a week. He takes the same route every morning and never had any problems until now.

“I had a gym bag over my right shoulder and as I was walking down the street I felt a tug,” said Church. “As I start to turn around, I saw one young guy with a pistol and he put it against my head and told me to get down on the ground.”

Church was worried that they were going to shoot so he did what he was told to do.

“Honestly, like you think you would panic in that moment, but it’s kind of like a blank, like ‘okay, there’s nothing I could do, this is it,’” said Church.

With a gun still pointed to his head, Church said the suspects demanded his cell phone.

“Once I was on the ground he moved the pistol to the back of my head against my head. He took my cellphone out attached to my headphones and he told me, tell me the password don’t lie to me or I’ll shoot you,” said Church. “I told him the password and you can hear his two other buddies in the background yelling stuff at me.”

Chruch said he was still on the ground when the suspects took off with his cell phone, gym bag, and wallet.

Once they were out of sight, he said he got up and ran through the woods to St. Vincent Hospital.

“I heard a car. I think they ran to the car and left and at that moment I thought to run towards the woods and then you could hear they fired three times at me,” said Church. “I ran all the way to the ER where I contacted police.”

Church filed a police report. He described the suspects as three black males, small framed, and believed to be between the ages of 17 and 23. He said one of the men had shoulder length dreads. He was last seen wearing a white sweatshirt and possibly blue jeans.

“You never know, just somebody going to the gym and just messing up somebody’s day for no reason and potentially taking their life over a bag full of gym clothes and some running shoes and a cellphone that’s going to get shut down and cards that are going to get turned off,” said Church. “So what are you getting in the end?”

If you know anything about this case, you’re asked to call Crime Stoppers at (317) 262- TIPS.

Comments are closed.