If you feel a little weighed down from all of the heavy food you’ve eaten over the holidays, Liz Berg, Indianapolis food blogger at That Skinny Chick Can Bake, has a few ideas for us!
Here are today’s dishes:
Vegetable Beef Soup
- A soup that’s not cream based like Vegetable Beef Soup is a great, healthy option for dinner.
- Use lean beef like beef tenderloin to keep the calorie content down
- Up the flavors in your soup with Worcestershire sauce, roasted garlic, a sprinkle of Parmesan, dried herbs or even add a slosh of wine
- Pack in the veggies. The fiber will fill you up!
- Adapt it to your family’s preferences, almost any vegetable will work.
- Make it in the crockpot for hands off cooking.
- You can add pasta, but use sparingly if you’re trying to reduce the calorie content.
- Make extra and freeze (leave out pasta and potatoes) for a ready to go meal on a busy night.
- Fruit desserts without a crust are a less caloric option.
- Use a flavorful poaching liquid for the best results.
- A little wine is a flavor enhancer, but you can leave it out if desired.
- You can poach all sorts of firm fruit: fresh peaches, apples, pears, nectarines
- Serve with some low calorie frozen yogurt or a few fresh berries for an elegant presentation.
- You can poach the pears a day before, keep chilled until you’re ready to serve.
To learn more about Liz and her recipes, visit: