Teen alerts family of 7 to burning Indianapolis home

(Indianapolis Fire Department Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A family of seven is doing OK after they escaped their burning home early Tuesday morning, thanks to their teenager.

Around 12:40 a.m., Indianapolis Fire Department officials say a 14-year-old girl woke up, smelled something burning and told the others to get out.

The family was outside when firefighters arrived to the home, in the 3300 block of Argyle Court. Two other family members were not home when the fire broke out.

A woman told officials there was an unattended space heater sitting next to a chair that she believes caught fire.

The girl who found the fire told firefighters the house filled quickly with smoke and was coming from the room where the space heater was.

One person was transported to Community East Hospital for difficulty breathing. No other injuries were reported.

The fire was under control shortly after 1 a.m. Damage has been estimated at $80,000 and officials say no working smoke alarms were found in the home.

IFD wants to remind residents to always keep a clear 3-foot perimeter around a space heater when in use and never leave it unattended.

Comments are closed.