INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Indianapolis Metro Police say they’ve identified and questioned a juvenile they say is behind online threats against Perry Meridian High School.
Officials say they were alerted to violent threats against the school Sunday, after receiving several calls from concerned citizens.
Homeland Security, Perry Meridian High School Police and Perry Township officials started an investigation, and worked with Twitter to identify the account holder. They said late Sunday night the juvenile suspect was identified and brought to the police department for questioning. They say the suspect was released to his parents after that. School officials say he is a student.
Police say investigators will forward their findings to the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office.
Perry Township Superintendent Dr. Tom Little sent an updated a message to parents Monday morning, saying, in part:
“The district plans to press charges and prosecute to the fullest extent. We are thankful to IMPD and Homeland Security who worked tirelessly throughout the night to find this individual. The individual has been suspended from school pending expulsion proceedings. The safety and security of your children is our highest priority.”
IMPD said parents can “be assured that their children will be safe this morning.”
They also wanted to remind the public of the need to educate their children about social media and the criminal charges that could come after any discussion of threats of violence against schools.
The school first alerted parents via a voicemail to parents and families Sunday evening from Superintendent Dr. Tom Little, saying:
“This evening, we received notification that a threatening comment was made against Perry Meridian High School on a Twitter account. We immediately contacted law enforcement, as well as Homeland Security. As you receive this notice, both law enforcement departments are currently working to trace this communication, and they will spend the evening on this task. School will be in session tomorrow as scheduled. We take all threats seriously, and additional security officers will be provided, as well as other precautionary measures. The safety and security of your children is always our highest priority.”
This is the latest in a number of online threats against school districts. Last week, investigators in Plainfield served several warrants in connection to online threats there.