IFD: Multiple space heaters likely caused house fire

(IFD Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Space heaters are believed to be the cause of a fire that caused $150,000 in damage to an Indianapolis home early Tuesday.

The Indianapolis Fire Department was called around 1:20 a.m. to the home in the 1100 block of East Edgewood Avenue. When firefighters got there, they found heavy fire coming from the second floor. They were able to get it under control in about 20 minutes.

Officials spoke with a man in the home, who said he woke up to the smell of something burning but couldn’t find the source at first. He said a light haze was filling the house, and they eventually found the attic on fire.

The man, his wife and their dogs made it out safely. He told investigators he had four space heaters running — two upstairs and two downstairs — since their furnace was under repair. Officials believe this caused the circuits to overload. Firefighters said they had just recently come from a similar fire that night.

IFD wants to remind residents to use space heaters appropriately and within the manufacturers recommended guidelines. They’ve provided these tips.

  • Before you go to sleep – heat the room, then turn off the space heater and close the door to keep the heat in.
  • Use extra blankets to stay warm.
  • Don’t leave the space heater running overnight and never leave it unattended.
  • When using a space heater plug the appliance directly into the outlet and don’t use and extension cord.
  • It is not recommended that more than one space heater is used at a time.

No one was injured in the fire.

Comments are closed.