Two injured in late Saturday residence fire

The Indianapolis Fire Department says there were no smoking alarms in the structure. (photo courtesy: IFD)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Two people were injured in a late Saturday evening fire.

According to the Indianapolis Fire Department, a two-story residence in the 3400 block of Sherman Drive caught fire just before 11 p.m. Saturday.

Crews working the scene were able to get the flames under control in 20 minutes.

However, IFD says a 60-year-old female was transported to Community Hospital East in good condition for smoke inhalation.  A 9-year-old child was also taken to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health in good condition for possible smoke inhalation.

IFD says the fire started after a child with a medical condition requiring the use of oxygen was asleep in a bedroom with a space heater with a frayed cord running.

The Indianapolis Fire Department says there were no smoking alarms in the structure.

Damage has been estimated at $30,000.

The family of seven was renting the residence.  IFD will work the Red Cross to find the family shelter.

Comments are closed.