Indy couple, 14 pets displaced by early morning fire

(Indianapolis Fire Department Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — An Indianapolis couple made it out of their home OK Thursday morning after they say a faulty light socket on their front porch caught fire.

The Indianapolis Fire Department was dispatched to the home on West Vermont Street around 1:50 a.m. When they arrived, there was heavy fire coming from the house.

The couple said they were awake and saw the light on the porch flicker before it sparked and caught fire. They first tried putting out the flames with flour, an extinguisher and the neighbor’s hose, but were unsuccessful.

Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control. The said they were met with a major issue when they first arrived — the hydrant was blocked by a fence and two large trash cans. IFD wants to remind residents to never block a hydrant.

The couple, their nine rescue dogs and 2 cats made it out OK. Another dog and two other cats are believed to have run off.

No injuries were reported.

Comments are closed.