“In a pinch” for what to eat tonight for dinner? How about a pierogi?! Jennifer Cheezum, owner of Pierogi In A Pinch in Pendleton, makes the crew a big batch– both savory AND sweet!
Pierogi In A Pinch Homemade Sauerkraut
Raw sauerkraut, 1 gallon
1 lb butter, salted
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1. Melt butter in large dutch oven or stockpot on medium heat.
2. Add brown sugar and stir frequently till dissolved.
3. Add 1 cup water (this will create steam while slow cooking).
4. Drain sauerkraut, using a strainer/colander.
5. Add the raw sauerkraut in the pot with the water, butter and sugar mixture.
6. Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium-low heat for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
7. Stir the sauerkraut mixture every 30 minutes till done.
Pierogi In A Pinch Fresh Cucumber Salad with Sweet Vinaigrette
4 fresh cucumbers, seeded not peeled
1 small spanish sweet onion, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh whole carrots, peeled and shredded
1 cup fresh dill or 1 tbsp dried dill
½ cup water
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1. Toss together the cucumbers and onion in a large bowl.
2. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber and onions.
4. Stir in dill, cover, and refrigerate until cold (atleast 2 hours).
Note: (This can also be eaten at room temperature, but be sure to allow the cucumbers to marinate for at least 1 hour.)
To learn more, visit: