HOWARD COUNTY, Ind. (WISH) – Officials in Howard County have finalized the funeral procession plan for fallen Deputy Carl Koontz.
Koontz died while serving while serving a warrant early Sunday morning in Russiaville Indiana. He leaves behind a wife, Cassie, and young son, Noah. Sergeant Jordan Buckley was also wounded in the incident. Buckley is expected to make a full recovery.
- FULL COVERAGE: Howard County deputy killed in shootout
A ceremony to honor Koontz will be on Tuesday March 29, at Northwestern High School. Other arrangements are as follows:
- Visitation: Monday March 28, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Northwestern High School.
- Funeral: Tuesday March 29, at 11 a.m. at Northwestern High School. Burial will follow at Albright Cemetery in Kokomo.
The procession will start at approximately 2:30 p.m. at Northwestern High School on Tuesday. The route is below:
- Northwestern High School, 3431 County Road N. 400 W.
- South on CR 400 West to State Road 22
- East on SR 22 to Dixon Road
- South on Dixon Road to Markland Avenue
- East on Markland Avenue past the Sheriff’s Department to Washington Street
- South on Washington Street to Lincoln Road
- East on Lincoln Road to Albright Road
- South on Albright Road to the cemetery at the corner of Albright Road and Alto Road
The sheriff’s department asks that if you are required to drive through any of the areas to please seek an alternative route. Road closures and traffic congestion is expected through the day. They also ask that if you plan to watch the procession to use caution as roads won’t be closed before the procession begins. As the procession passes it is customary to stand, remove your hat and cover your heart with your right hand.
The Howard County Sheriff’s Department continues to thank the community for their incredible outreach and support during this difficult time.