INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A couple was sent to the hospital after their home caught fire late Sunday night.
Officials say two people lived at the home, they were both injured and transported to the hospital. The Indianapolis Fire Department said they were awakened by smoke alarms and evacuated the home.
Their conditions are unknown at this time.
The male occupant told officials he believes a discarded cigarette caused the fire.
Firefighters were called to the scene around midnight on Monday. When they arrived on the 7000 block of Edgewater Drive, the fire was already fully involved.
They also found that there were no fire hydrants nearby. They had to set up a water supply with tankers.
The male resident also said he tried to put out the fire himself, but it soon got out of hand and he evacuated.
The couple has lived in the house for over 40 years. IFD is estimated the damage to their house at $400,000.