2-year-old boy falls into Greenwood retention pond, remains in serious condition

A child was pulled from a retention pond in Greenwood Friday. (WISH Photo/Vi Nguyen)

GREENWOOD, Ind. (WISH) — Investigators in Greenwood are calling the case of a two-year-old boy, who was rescued from a retention pond, a tragic accident.

It happened at Bexley Village Apartments in Greenwood around 2:30 p.m. on Friday.

Greenwood police said the little boy is still recovering at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health, where he is still being treated.  He is considered to be in serious condition.

A maintenance worker told police he thought he saw someone floating in the water. He went to check and it turned out to be a little boy. Police believe the little boy had been in the water for several minutes. The maintenance worker got him out and performed CPR.
“The child was unconscious and did not show any real signs of life at the scene,” said Sgt. Matt Fillenwarth, Greenwood Police Department.

Investigators spent time Friday evening checking the retention pond behind Bexley Village Apartments. They were looking for any clues to help them piece together a timeline after the boy was found floating in the water.

Residents are hoping that little boy will make it through.

“I feel bad for the parents and I hope everything is okay for them,” said Kayla Hsu, resident.

Hsu lives at this apartment complex. She said she would often see kids playing in the area.

“I’ve never seen a two-year-old, or any toddler, running around by themselves,” she said. “I’ve seen children that are 10 or 11 riding bikes, playing basketball, you know, walking on the sidewalk.”

Police said the little boy was initially taken to St. Francis South then transferred to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health.

Detectives believe there is no foul play and said it is looking like a tragic accident.

Police said the father was watching the boy when he fell asleep. The little boy somehow managed to get outside. The mother was at work.

“The father, I saw him briefly before he left the scene to go to the hospital, looked distraught, just like I think any parent would,” said Fillenwarth.

It didn’t take police long to respond to the scene after receiving the call.

Police said it took them anywhere between 30 to 45 seconds to get there. A deputy chief of investigation happened to be in the area when the call came in.

Comments are closed.