INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – The American Heart Association says sharing life with a four-footed furry friend can improve the health, quality of life and longevity of you and your canine companion. Just like with humans, the quality of your dog’s food is important. Creating healthy food for your canine companion is a simple process and your dogs are going to love it.
Chef Wendell’s Tail Waggin’ dog food
1 whole chicken, giblets removed from the paper sack
1 pound ground sirloin
• Totally submerge the chicken in a pot of water. Add the giblets
• Let bird cook thoroughly and remove to a sheet pan to drain and cool.
• Add the hamburger meat to the chicken stock and boil till done. Occasional break up the clumps.
• Strain the stock into a bowl and refrigerate. When the stock cools, there will be fat on top. Remove it and toss it in the trash. Put stock in a Tupperware container and use it daily to augment / gravy the dog’s food.
• Take the cooked, drained hamburger, pulled chicken meat, a raw carrot and chopped parsley to a food processer and pulse into coarse bits.
• Portion out into small containers and freeze till needed.
• When serving, add chicken / beef stock to it and the dogs go wild
• When feeding them good quality canned wet dog food, I feel compelled to add even more nutrition in the form of: (Per 10 pounds of doggie body weight) ½ tsp. coconut oil, ¼ tsp. ground turmeric, ¼ tsp. raw honey, ¼ tsp. ground flax or chia seed, an occasional raw egg, and chopped fresh kale, parsley, carrot or sweet potato. Rotate produce daily.