Doctors warn of fireworks danger

The most common injuries are burns to hands, fingers and arms.(Provided Photo/ Richard M. Fairbanks Burn Center at Eskenazi Health)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Doctors are warning that even though some fireworks may look harmless they are dangerous.

Doctors at Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital say half of all fireworks injuries last year happened on July Fourth.

The most common injuries are burns to hands, fingers and arms.

They said even a sparkler can burn at 2,000 degrees.

They suggest you follow directions on packages, wear eye protection, and drink only after you’re done using the fireworks.

They also suggest you have a way to extinguish those fireworks

“Make sure you have a bucket of water nearby if you’re using sparklers that you can put them in that bucket when you’re done to help reduce the risk of burns from them,” said Dr. Gina Swartzell, an emergency room doctor at Sidney & Lois¬†Eskenazi.

According to Indiana law, those under 18 must have adult supervision before using fireworks. Despite that, doctors said a third of all injuries are to people who are underage.

DISCLAIMER: Some of the pictures are graphic and may be upsetting.

Comments are closed.