19 sick after eating suspected edible marijuana candy at Quinceañera in San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — The candy that made 19 people sick at a Quinceañera in the Mission District on Saturday night is suspected to be edible marijuana, according to the The San Francisco Department of Public Health

“Anyone who attended the Quinceañera and may have taken some of the gummy rings is urged to discard them immediately,” said Dr. Tomas Aragon, Health Officer for the City and County of San Francisco. “If they are sickened, they should report to the California Poison Control Center for advice. If they are feeling severely ill, they should call 911.”

The patients were released from the hospital on Monday.

According to San Francisco Fire Department, crews were dispatched to the Women’s Building in the Mission District of San Francisco around 10:30 p.m. on Saturday.

One victim was as young as 6 years old.

“If these candies are confirmed as edible marijuana, then this event is a strong warning about the dangers of edibles, which can be very potent and hard to control dosage in the best circumstances,” Aragon said. “A situation like this, where they were consumed by unsuspecting people, and many children, is greatly concerning.”

Comments are closed.