AVON, Ind. (WISH) — As Indiana’s bicentennial year continues, Avon has a project that should let Hoosiers of the future see what 2016 was like. A team at Avon’s library is gathering items for a time capsule that will not be opened until 2066.
The town is asking for items like church bulletins, t-shirts, and even technology like a cell phone.
Some of the library staff members are local history enthusiasts and said while Avon is only in it’s 20th year as a town, it really has a rich past. Now as they look 50 years into the future, they want Avon residents to think about items used all the time.
“What we are as a person day-to-day, really drives our society. So I think that it is really important that we see what it is that drove this society so we can tell people in 2066,” Susan Truax said.
The items will not be buried, but rather stored in an archive in a manuscript box for the next 50 years.
You can drop off items at the Avon-Washington Township Public Library or Avon Town Hall until December 9th. The town will then hold a dedication ceremony open to the public in the afternoon of December 12th.
Staff at the library are also inviting folks to drop off items during the annual Celebrating Avon event set for Saturday, September 17th from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Celebrating Avon is all about celebrating the past with old fashioned games and crafts, a train display and the annual Hendricks Power bucket truck candy drop.
• Menus from local restaurants
• Local newspapers
• Yearbooks from each school
• Photographs of residents and events in the community (please identify the photograph and individuals in the photographs and date the photograph)
• Flyers, by-laws, photographs, minutes and other memorabilia from community clubs and other organizations
• School papers
• Personal letters and essays
• Popular books
• Church directories, bulletins, and other papers
• Bumper stickers, banners, small buttons
• Map of Avon, Indiana
• Labels or packaging of favorite foods
• Pencils, mugs, pens which advertise a business or church or organization
• T-Shirts from the schools
• Brief history of organizations, businesses, etc.
• Rosters of members of an organization