In our fast-paced world, many people are unaware that digestion begins in the mouth with mindful chewing, not gulping. Chef Wendell Fowler, Author of “Eat Right Now” is here to show us how to create health, slow down and thoroughly chew each mouthful to absorb the most vitamins, minerals, energy and other nutrients from your food; a vitamin pill on a plate.
Chef Wendell also shows us how to prepare a savory Kitchari, the “Vitamin Pill On A Plate”!
1 cup cooked lentils
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
3 tbsp. unrefined virgin coconut oil
2 tbs. coconut milk
1 inch fresh ginger root, grated
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. cumin seed
1 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne
½ tsp. turmeric
1 cup assorted, peas, carrots, cauliflower, red peppers, zucchini (cut into small pieces)
Cilantro, chopped leaves
2 bu. chopped green onions
1 tbs. ground flax or chia seed
Juice of one lemon
- Thoroughly drain lentils. In sauce pan, cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In another pan, heat the oil on medium and add the ginger, fennel, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add veggies; let cook for a minute and then gently mix in coconut milk.
- Plate the quinoa first then top with the veggies / spice mix.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the top,
- Garnish with nuts, green onions and cilantro and serve.
Don’t miss your chance to meet and greet with Chef Wendell at the Georgetown arket on September 10th from 12 until 3:00PM, and at the Garfield Park Farmer’s Market September 17th from 9:30AM to 12:30PM.