Most people believe the lower their cholesterol, the healthier they are. When eaten in moderation, vitamin and protein-packed eggs are quite healthy and can affect your sunny disposition / mood. Chef Wendell, author of “Eat Right Now,” shows us how to incorporate eggs into our diets and what to look for at the grocery store!
• January 2009 American Heart Journal: almost 75 percent of heart attack patients fell within recommended targets for “bad” LDL cholesterol
• Our bodies need cholesterol. (Not the enemy we’ve been told)
• Look around. So much hate, violence, suicide, depression and aggressive behavior in the world today.
• Statin drugs are used to reduce cholesterol
• Introduction to Nutritional Yeast Flakes that provide a non-dairy wealth of vitamins, minerals and protein that almost anyone—from Paleo enthusiasts to vegans—can enjoy. (great on popcorn, especially)
We need cholesterol: It the cheese, bacon, sausage, hash browns that cause damage
• Your nervous system and brain cell walls thrive on cholesterol
• Cholesterol is vital for hormone production.
• Helps synthesize vitamin D from sunlight (powerful antioxidant and immune stimulant).
• A and B vitamins, selenium, iron, lutein and zeaxanthin, and choline.
Egg—‘cellent’ Kimchi Omelet with Siracha Syrup
Adapted from: The New York Times
Rather than asphyxiating your omelet with fatty, high calorie cheese, here’s a version eager to please your friends and family.
½ cup rice vinegar
⅓ cup honey
1 to 2 tsp. Sriracha, more to taste
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
½ cup kimchi, drained and coarsely chopped
2 large eggs, beaten
Himalayan Salt, as needed
Black pepper, as needed
Toasted black or regular sesame seeds, for garnish
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
• To prepare Sriracha syrup, in a small pot set over medium heat combine vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until syrup is reduced by about half, 6 to 8 minutes.
• Remove from heat and allow syrup to cool slightly. Stir in Sriracha sauce and set aside while you make the omelet. In a small nonstick pan set over medium-high heat, add oil and warm until shimmering.
• Add kimchi and cook, stirring, until warm, about 30 seconds. Add eggs and quickly scramble mixture with a fork. Pat flat with a spatula; cook, without moving, until almost set but still slightly loose on top, 1 to 2 minutes.
• Season with salt and pepper. Slide omelet onto a plate, folding half of it over the filling.
• Drizzle with Sriracha syrup and garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro leaves.
For more on Chef Wendell, visit www.chefwendell.com.