Fort Wayne hostage situation ends in police involved shooting

FWPD involved in hostage situation. (Provided Photo/WANE)

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A man who took a young child hostage in Fort Wayne has died after being shot by police early Friday morning.

The Allen County Coroner’s Office is scheduled to conduct an autopsy at 11:30 a.m. and further information will be released Friday afternoon.

The incident began when officers were called to the 5300 block of Stony Run Lane shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday for a reported disturbance.

FWPD Spokesman Officer Chris Felton said officers determined a man was inside the home holding a child hostage and possibly armed with a knife. A woman also inside the home was able to get out.

The first arriving officers attempted to talk with the man get him out of the house, but he refused.

Due to the situation, the FWPD’s Crisis Response and Emergency Services teams were called at 11:58 p.m.

Negotiators attempted to make contact with the man and initially did so through text messages. That communication stopped and police threw a phone into the home that allowed for direct between the man and negotiators. However, the man refused to answer the phone.

The department then used its armored rescue vehicle. Officers communicated via loudspeaker, lights and a loud horn in an attempt to get the man to exit the house. Eventually the man started speaking with negotiators on a different phone that was put in the house.

Around 4:50 a.m. Friday, Felton said the man made statements over the phone that forced the hand of EST members.

Officers stormed the house, and according to Felton, saw the man standing over the child with what police described as “two large-edged weapons.” Officers shot the man and rushed the child out of the home.

The man was taken to the hospital in critical condition where he later died. The child was not hurt.

Police confirmed the man and woman lived in the house together, but has not confirmed if both are parents to the child.

The Indiana State Police will run a parallel investigation with FWPD. The officers who entered the home and the negotiators will be placed on a 5-day administrative leave, per department policy.

Felton could not provide information about how many shots were fired, how many times the man was struck by gunfire, or how many officers discharged their weapon.

In July, police were called to the same address for a similar situation. A man had taken a child hostage with a large knife. After 3 hours, the man surrendered to police without incident. He is now facing several felony charges.

FWPD would not confirm the name of the man from Friday’s incident, or if he would face any charges.

The incident is under investigation.