INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The orange super-star of plant foods is a vitamin-packed powerhouse which can be used as a low calorie appetizer, snack, soup or beverage. For everyday pumpkin pie needs canned will do. But in the fall, the best pumpkin is waiting for you at the local- support farmer’s market or one of the many local pumpkin farm festivals.
What you’ll need to make a pumpkin pie smoothie:
- 1 cup pureed, baked and skinned ‘fresh’ pumpkin
- ½ cups almond, coconut or hemp seed milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- Place all ingredients except water in a blender.
- Run for 20 seconds to blend.
- Add more milk to reach desired consistency.
What you’ll need to make pumpkin chili:
- 2 pounds ground ‘beef’ alternative or Tempeh (Or ground turkey breast)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook ‘meat ‘until brown; drain. Stir in onion and bell pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes and pumpkin puree.
- Season with pumpkin pie spice, thyme, jalapeno, chili powder and honey.
- Simmer 1 hour.