(KRON)—Imagine eating something so hot that it tears a hole in your esophagus and have to spend more than three weeks in the hospital.
That is exactly what recently happened to one man.
The details came out during a study by UCSF.
The culprit is a ghost pepper.
The man had eaten a hamburger smothered with a ghost pepper puree as part of contest.
It was so hot it caused a two-and-a half centimeter tear in his esophagus.
This is how hot the pepper is.
In Scoville units, which measures the heat, it clocks in at one million.
A habanero comes in at half-a-million.
A jalapeno anywhere between 2,500 to 8,000.