9 displaced after west side retirement community fire

(WISH Photo)
(WISH Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Firefighters on the west side of Indianapolis are investigating after a fire at a retirement community early Monday morning.

Emergency crews were called to Crestwood Village on Welcome Way Boulevard, near Girls School Road and Rockville Road, just before 2:30 a.m.

The fire was destroyed an apartment on the second floor, according to Wayne Township Fire Dept. Captain Mike Pruitt. Nineteen residents were evacuated from the building.

An 86-year-old woman was rescued from her balcony by firefighters with a ladder.

Pruitt said it was sparked by a discarded cigarette.

Two people were treated at the scene for minor injuries. A woman was transported to the hospital for slight smoke inhalation.

Nine people were unable to return to their apartment due to smoke or fire damage.

Pruitt said firefighters and residents of the retirement community conduct annual fire drills. This likely helped ensure the process went smoothly Monday, he said.