INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Is your immune system ready? Halloween heralds the ‘sugar binge’ and flu season. Lots and lots of Ghoulish sugary goodies and holiday treats will be consumed between now and January. Science proves sugar creates an unhealthy acid condition and weakens your immune system when you need it the most. Sugar also sets you up for cancer and heart disease. Here are some tips for remedying the damage.
What you’ll need for Magic Alkaline Tea:
- 2 cups “almost’ boiling water
- 1 inch fresh ginger, smashed (No need to peel)
- 1 lemon, washed and cut in half
- ½ tsp. powdered turmeric-From health food store-not grocery store
- 1/8th tsp. cayenne
- ¼ cup Bragg’s Cider Vinegar (shake before pouring)
- 1 tbs. raw local honey or local maple syrup (Stevia is okay too)
- Tea Strainer
- 2 large coffee mugs
- Bring enough water for two mugs ‘almost’ to a boil. Shut off heat. Add turmeric and cayenne. Whisk.
- Meanwhile, puree ginger and lemon with rind in a food processor.
- Add lemon and ginger puree to the hot, NOT boiling turmeric water.
- Let everything steep for 10 minutes.
- Grab your 2 mugs and add 3 Tbsps. Braggs to each cup. Keep the Braggs at room temperature. It’s alive.
- Keep mixing up the turmeric from the bottom. (gravity)
- Place a tea strainer over each cup and then pour brewed tea into each mug; add
- Drink warm and stir frequently between sips because the turmeric gravitates to the bottom– so keep stirring it up.
What you’ll need for avocado and spinach toast:
- 1 slice whole grain bread, toasted (I prefer Ezekiel brand)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 oz. mashed or 1/4 small avocado
- EVOO or avocado oil
- 1 large egg
- Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- In a small skillet, gently, over low heat, wilt the spinach in a tablespoon of water. (30 seconds) Reserve / drain on a paper towel.
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over low heat, spray with oil and gently crack the egg into the skillet. Cover and cook to your liking.
- Spread the mashed avocado onto the toast, then the wilted spinach and then top with egg, salt and pepper and hot sauce if desired!