Over 200 evacuated after cigarette sparks fire

the-pub-fire

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Firefighters evacuated over 200 people after a fire broke out at The Harness Factory Lofts Pub & Eatery early Sunday morning.

Authorities said the fire started before 1 a.m. underneath the floors of the establishment located on East Georgia Street.

Upon arrival, heavy smoke was seen coming from the front of the attached Harness Factory Lofts.

It is believed the fire may have been started as a result of a dropped cigarette with debris that had been settled in a void space near the area of the establishment’s sidewalk in a grate. Over 200 people were evacuated from the scene.

Flames were reported to be seen as high as 20 feet. No injuries have been reported.

Early estimations report the damages to be about $50,000.