INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Behold the All-American Sloppy Joe Sandwich. Healthy eating on game day is becoming more common. One day a week won’t sabotage your health, but developing the habit of eating health all the time has such delightful benefits. At the end of your fork, there is a whole other world of ‘Feel Good’ ready and waiting.
What you’ll need to create a creamy coleslaw:
- 1 head each shredded green and purple cabbage
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup Veganese mayonnaise
Sloppy Joe sauce:
- 2 medium onions
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. Maple syrup, raw honey or 1 package stevia
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Tamari wheat-free soy sauce
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
Sloppy Joe meat:
- 1 cake of tempeh or 8 ounces of ground meat substitute
- 1 cup cooked long grain basmati rice
- EVOO or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- Tamari wheat-free soy sauce to taste
- In a saucepan, add a teaspoon of oil and gently brown the ‘meat’ over medium heat, breaking it up with the back of a fork. Gently sauté.
- Add a bit more oil then add chili powder, cayenne, carrots and celery and sauté over medium heat.
- Add sloppy joe sauce, cooked rice, salt and pepper.
- Adjust thickness with vegetable stock or water.