2 officers injured, 7 arrests made after downtown anti-Trump rally

Many gathered at the Statehouse on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016 to protest the election of Donald Trump. (WISH photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Hundreds of people gathered at the Indiana Statehouse to protest the election of Donald Trump.

Saturday evening’s protest is the latest in a string of protests around the country since Tuesday’s election.

A number of protesters held signs and could be heard chanting.

The signs touched on a variety of issues and topics including women’s rights, equality for the LGBT community and immigrants while other signs were anti-Pence.

The crowd was made up of people of all ages.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police called out their Event Response Group officers to help handle the protesters.

After several hours outside the Statehouse protesters took their message to the streets downtown. They marched to Monument Circle.

At one point, on Washington Street, near the Arts Garden, police had set up a barricade.  Protesters also blocked lanes of traffic at Capitol Avenue and Washington Street.

“After the rally here on the circle two groups then split up. One went north, one went south. The group who went north was the one that split off and began to get into the road and began walking into the roadway, causing cars to stop what they were doing to avoid individuals from getting hit,” said Major Richard Riddle.

Officers worked to block streets to protect protesters from getting hit.

“Once they got toward the area of Illinois and Washington, from my understanding, we had a group of individuals that stopped. This group then began to chant and make threats directly at our officers. Threats such as kill the police, trying to instigate this particular crowd towards violence towards our officers.”

Police say while attempting to arrest the people described as “instigators” a group began to throw rocks at officers, injuring two.

“I would characterize them as criminals because they assaulted police officers. They were trying to, we believe, cause a riot or that type of situation in our city. I think that says a lot about the response of the police department. I think it also sways a lot about the other protesters who did not participate,” said IMPD Chief Troy Riggs.

All of this happened after about four hours of mostly peaceful protests. Police say earlier in the night a group of counter-protesters showed up, but agreed to leave to prevent the situation from escalating.

In total seven arrests had been made as of 10:15 p.m. Police say three of those arrested were from out of town.

Police are still looking for information about the people they believe showed up to the protest with a bag of rocks. They’re asking anyone with video of these people to contact their office.

For more on the protest at the Statehouse click on the video.