INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — When it comes to healthy eating, you just can’t beat your own kitchen. The more you cook at home, the healthier you will be. Along with sleep, what you eat is likely the biggest factor of how healthy you are. Not exercise. Not supplements. Without the proper fuel, you cannot become the beautiful miracle you are.
What you’ll need for the recipe:
- 1 can (19 oz.) kidney beans, including liquid
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1-2/3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, whole
- 1 small onion or 2 stalks scallion, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1½ to 2 tsp. Himalayan Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups long grain Basmati brown rice (rinsed and drained Not Uncle Ben’s)
- 4 cups total chopped carrots, celery, green onion, red bell pepper
- 1 lime, juiced (fresh only please)
Chef’s tip: It is always a good idea to wear rubber gloves when handling chili peppers, especially habaneros. Chili peppers contain oils that make them hot and can burn your skin and eyes.
- Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a container; add to it the can of coconut milk and enough water to make 4 cups of liquid.
- Put the 4 cups of liquid in a large pot. Then rinse one (1) cup of rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Once the water boils, add rice and 2 teaspoons of salt, beans, whole uncut habanero, garlic, chopped onion and thymeto large pot. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir once and then let it cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, let it steam in its own moisture so each grain’s outer bran softens without overcooking the innards.
- Mix in the drained beans; fluff with fork as you go.
- Plate and garnish with raw veggies.
- Squeeze lime over the top prior to serving.