SWAT standoff delays Richmond schools

(Provided Photo/Wayne County Jail)
(Provided Photo/Wayne County Jail)

RICHMOND, Ind. (WISH) — Schools in Richmond were delayed Monday morning due to a SWAT standoff on the south side of the city.

Police were called to a possible home invasion in the 200 block of S. 14th Street twice in the early morning hours Monday, first around 2:10 a.m. and again at 3:45 a.m.

Following both investigations, officers determined the home had not been broken into.

As police were preparing to leave from the second call, a man inside the house fired several gunshots. The man, later identified as Anthony Smith, refused to come out and told officers he had fired at a person inside the house.

Police said he had barricaded himself, a young girl and an infant inside a room.

Nearby homes were evacuated as the man refused to come out.

After about three hours, a SWAT team entered the home and took Smith into custody without incident. No one was hurt. Police said the house is owned by Smith’s sister and he had been staying with her.

Smith was taken to Reid Health Hospital for an evaluation. He faces a preliminary charge of level 6 felony criminal recklessness.

Richmond Community Schools tweeted it was on a two-hour delay. A glitch in the school administration’s phone system caused some or all parents to not receive an alert about the delay.