INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The quest for the perfect veggie burger is never-ending. Most store-bought frozen patties disappoint and give veggie burgers an underserved bad rap. Why not make your own where you control the ingredients? This easy peasy, guaranteed-to-please food processor version will hit the mark. No one will know that they are chocked full of nourishing vitamins and bell-ringing fiber.
What you’ll need for the recipe:
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cooked long grain brown rice
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp. EVOO or avocado oil
- 4 whole grain bread buns
- Preheat oven to 350 °
- In a food processor pulse onion, cooked rice breadcrumbs, black beans, chili powder, salt, cumin and tomato paste and mix till well combined. (about 15 seconds)
- Divide mixture into 4 portions and form into patties.
- Place patties on an oiled baking sheet pan.
- Bake 12 minutes, turn over the patties and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns and garnish with tomatoes, romaine lettuce / spinach leaves and condiment.