Cigarette sparks east side house fire; 2 seriously hurt

(Provided Photo/IFD)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Two people were seriously hurt in a house fire on the east side of Indianapolis Tuesday morning.

Fire crews were called to the 900 block of N. Gibson Avenue, near 10th Street and Post Road, just after 6 a.m.

An Indianapolis Fire Department official said a dropped cigarette sparked the fire. A man and woman were taken to the hospital in serious condition.

IFD said the man and woman are a 95-year-old father and his 75-year-old daughter. IFD said the daughter, who is wheelchair-bound, had dropped a cigarette on the floor.

Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control. The blaze caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.

IFD said this is the second time in a week that firefighters had responded to the home.

Stay with WISHTV.com for updates.