INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — We eat and drink a lot more during Christmas and New Year’s. After celebrating festive holidays with lots of cocktails and sugary foods, for morning-after relief, many folks eat greasy eggs and bacon, hash browns, and biscuits and gravy. Although, if you prepare this nourishing, easy ‘do ahead’ breakfast casserole and reheat ‘the morning after’, you’ll digest better, put out the fires of inflammation and create health.
What you’ll need for breakfast casserole:
- 8 fresh eggs
- 2 cups almond, coconut, cashew or hemp seed milk
- 2 cups green and yellow squash, fresh — small dice
- 1 cup washed, sliced mushrooms — chopped
- 1 chopped pablano pepper-small dice
- 1 sweet potatoes, small dice
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds- fiber
- 1 tbsp. chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions — chopped
- 2 cups low-fat shredded cheese
- Salsa Verde
- Enchiladas sauce
- cilantro garnish
- fresh fruit side dish
- Wash and dice the veggies, cilantro and potatoes ahead of time.
- Wisk eggs, salt, pepper & garlic until well blended
- Add cheese to egg mixture and whisk until blended. (you may have to add more liquid eggs, enough to cover the veggies in a casserole dish)
- Spread veggie mixture into well-greased 8 x 8 casserole dish. Pour egg mixture over veggies- stir until all veggies are well coated / covered.
- Bake (covered with foil the first 20 minutes) @ 375 degrees. You may have to add a few minutes.
- Remove the foil and finish baking until toothpick inserted in center, comes out clean. Slice into squares.
- Place a pool of salsa Verde onto a serving plate and then a square of warm casserole.
- Top with enchiladas sauce and cilantro.
- Serve with fruit and enjoy!