COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. (WANE) – Two people were injured after a flash fire at the manufacturing facility Micropulse, Inc. in Columbia City Monday afternoon. Both people suffered first and second-degree burns to their head, face and neck after a machine overheated.
Police were dispatched to the 160,000 square foot facility, located at 5865 E State Rd. 14, at approximately 2:30 p.m. on what was initially reported as an explosion. When firefighters arrived, the fire had already been put out by employees with fire extinguishers, but smoke could be seen coming from inside the building.
An investigation indicated that a molecular plastic machine that makes medical parts overheated at a subsidiary of the company located within the facility. The operations and engineering managers suffered burns and were taken a Fort Wayne hospital for treatment. The rest of the employees were temporarily evacuated, Assistant Chief of Union Township Fire Chad Radke said.
The facility sustained no property damage.
Brian More, Chief Financial Officer of Micropulse told NewsChannel 15 that the facility is closing for second shift, but plans to re-open for third shift.
Micropulse, Inc. specializes in high-speed machinery, robotic part handling and new technologies for orthopedics.