Officials identify victim in overnight house fire

(Provided Photo/Indianapolis Fire Department)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) –Officials have released the name of the man who died in a house fire early Wednesday morning.

Dennis Helms, 71, died after being pulled from a house fire early Wednesday morning.

Fire crews were called to the 1800 block of Marlowe Avenue, west of Rural Street and Washington Street, just before 1 a.m.

Fire officials say Helms had no pulse and was not breathing when firefighters pulled him from the home. He was revived and taken to Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition. He later died of his injuries.

A firefighter received a slight injury, and a dog was killed in the blaze, Indianapolis Fire Department officials said.

Helms’ two caretakers said they left the home about 30 minutes before flames broke out. They told firefighters that candles burning near the front door likely sparked the fire.

Damage to the home was estimated at $20,000.

Never miss another Facebook post from WISH-TV