Turmeric has plenty of health benefits and is super trendy right now! Michelle Dudash, Registered Dietitian, Chef & Author, “Clean Eating for Busy Families,” shares facts and tips about the popular plant.
- It’s a plant related to ginger, and resembles a similar appearance to gingerroot, but a more orange color.
- It’s a main ingredient in the cooking spice curry powder.
- It contains the compound curcumin, which preliminary studies have shown may reduce number of heart attacks bypass patients had after surgery, and control knee pain from osteoarthritis as well as ibuprofen did.
- Has a warm, bitter taste and is used in Asian, Indian, and middle Eastern food.
2.Turmeric in drinks is a hot trend right now and a tasty way to get your turmeric.
- Numi Organic Teas offers a variety of hot tea bags, plus turmeric chai, and turmeric cocoa.
- Add Gaia Golden Milk to lattes and café au laits.
3.Turmeric is also being added as a major flavor to foods.
- Sweet Earth natural foods Chana Masala and The Curry Tiger burrito.
- Try stirring 1/2 teaspoon turmeric into an 8-oz container of hummus.
- Experiment by sprinkling turmeric into your favorite dishes.
For more, go to www.michelledudash.com.