SWAT situation on south side ends with armed man in custody

(WISH Photo/Kevin Stinson)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A SWAT situation that lasted around four hours has come to a peaceful end.

It started around 2 p.m. Wednesday afternoon when police say officers tried to approach a man near the 4300 block of South East Street. They say the man, 29-year-old Paul Reese, was wanted in connection to a felony charge of fleeing police back in April.

(WISH Photo/Kevin Stinson)

Police say as officers approached Reese, he drove off in his truck, crashed it into a fence and then got stuck in the mud. When officers tried to approach him again, they said the 29-year-old had a gun to his head.

Negotiators and SWAT were called in to help. They spent about three hours communicating with the man over a loud speaker and cell phone, before deploying gas in his truck to try to get him to come out peacefully.

“There comes a time when we have to decide what is the risk here? What is the risk to the suspect as well as the public. With the resources we have on scene and when we do have those resources available to us, and we find that one tactic is not working, instead of spinning wheels, we have to move forward,” said Officer Jim Gillespie with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

The gas prompted Reese to exit his truck. According to Officer Gillepsie, the suspect has been taken to the hospital to be checked out and will then be taken to the Arrestee Processing Center to await charges.

According to authorities, the south half of a nearby AMC theater was evacuated and a nearby ramp to I-465 was also closed to traffic.

Officer Gillespie thanked the nearby theater for its cooperation, as well as the patience of others involved in the situation, saying, “When it comes to preserving a human life, there is no such thing as a time limit. We like to allow as much time as possible so we give someone an opportunity to move forward with their lives, with their family and loved ones,”

IPS Media Relations Coordinator Carrie Cline Black confirmed that Daniel Webster School 46 and William Penn School 49 were briefly on lockdown, but that status has since been lifted.

Never miss another Facebook post from WISH-TV