Taking your kids to the Indianapolis 500 can be a fun time, but it can also be stressful. Tori Kincaid, Digital Editor for Indy with Kids.com is here today to share her tips. Not only has Tori survived the Indy 500 with Kids, her family is full of lifelong fans, just ask her about her son’s name.
Gates open at 6, get there early to get your spot! The spectator hills by Turn 2 no alcohol, family hill.
The IMS midway opens with the track and pre-race activities begin at 8 with the parade of bands and the parade of 500 princesses at 9 am. The museum also opens at 6 am on race day, kids under 5 are free, $8 for adults, $5 for children.
- Ear protection, the cars are really loud for a long time.
- Chairs or blankets
- Yard games – Frisbee, corn hole, etc
- Cooler – 18’ X 14” X 14”
- Lots of food/snacks, water, drinks. But there are plenty of vendors available so bring cash. No glass containers!
- Sun hat, sunscreen, comfortable shoes and Maybe a poncho or a sweatshirt. Be prepared and watch the weather.
- If you’re in the stands – seat cushion, but you can rent them at the track for $10-15
Strollers are ok but the use is restricted in some areas. Race day is a long day so the younger might prefer one of the other fun activities leading up to the Indy 500.
The JP Morgan Chase 500 Festival Kids’ Day
Tomorrow, Saturday, May 13 from noon-4 on Monument Circle. Billed as “The state’s largest FREE outdoor festival for children,” kids can:
- interact with local mascots
- race in mini cars
- jump around in multiple bounce houses
- get a free haircut by Great Clips
- make sashes with the 500 Festival Princesses, and more!
While you’re downtown, join in The Chase 500 Festival Rookie Run or cheer on the runners! Kids, ages 3-10, are can race in this a non-competitive fun run. You’ll see Indy With Kids running for the Central Indiana McDonalds this weekend.
Other track days for the kids
- Saturday, May 20, 2017 – Indy 500 Practice & Qualifications, it’s also lemonade day at the track – Nerf brand visits the Kid Zone. http://indywithkids.com/events/nerf-nitro-kid-zone-free-indianapolis-motor-speedway-2017-05-19/
- Wednesday, May 24, 2017 – Community Day
- Saturday, May 27, 2017 – Legends Day, Gates open at 8, Driver autographs start at 9, the IMS Midway is open from 10-3
More great tips from Indy with Kids. http://indywithkids.com/indy-500-kids/