Zionsville woman smoking near oxygen led to fatal fire

ZIONSVILLE, Ind. (WISH) — Careless smoking around medical oxygen caused the death of a 67-year-old Zionsville woman in a Tuesday night house fire along U.S. 421, town officials said.

Authorities identified the woman Wednesday as Susan E. Cutright.

“The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental in nature, associated with careless smoking around in home medical oxygen,” said a news release issued Wednesday by the town. “The origin where the fire started has been identified as the center bedroom in the home.”

A memorial fund has been established at Old National Bank to help Cutright’s family pay for the expenses associated with the fire. The release said community members wishing to help can visit any Old National Bank branch and make a deposit to Susan Cutright Benefit Account.

Boone County Sheriff Deputy Rob Watson, who was patrolling the area, reported a house in the 700 block of North U.S. 421 with flames visible at 7:50 p.m., the town said in a Tuesday news release. Watson made several attempts to alert the home’s occupants of the fire before Zionsville Fire Department arrived about five minutes later.

A Whitestown Fire Department crew found the woman and took her to a waiting paramedic ambulance crew, but she was pronounced dead on the scene, the release said.

A neighbor who tried to enter the home prior to the fire departments’ arrival was treated at the scene.

No firefighters were injured in the fire.

Fire units from Center Township, Lebanon, Sheridan and Zionsville helped battle the fire or bring water to fight the blaze in the rural area. U.S. 421 was closed as crews fought the fire.

Never miss another Facebook post from WISH-TV