Docs: Suspect admitted to stabbing woman in downtown apartment complex

(IMPD Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A 23-year-old woman found dead in her apartment building’s gym, a 25-year-old man charged with her murder, and residents left trying to come to terms with what they are calling a senseless crime.

Surveillance footage of a man, believed to be Cody Weir, entering the 9 on Canal apartments. (Provided Photo/IMPD)

Authorities charged Cody Weir in the death of Carina Rodriguez. Court documents show that she was working out in the apartment’s gym in the early morning hours Friday when she let a man in the gym before being stabbed.

Her body was found at the 9 on Canal apartments in the 300 block of West Ninth Street just before 6:30 a.m. Friday. Two men who live in the building found Rodriguez’s body inside of the gym at the apartment and called police.

Investigators reviewed surveillance footage given to them by the director of operations at the complex.

(IMPD Photo)

At 2:38 a.m., a car believed to be Weir’s pulled into the handicap parking space near the front entrance. One minute later, he entered the main lobby near the gym. He then walked into the parking garage then back into the building. At 2:44 a.m., Rodriguez let the man into the gym. Less than a minute later, he pulled something out of his waistband and struck Rodriguez. Police say video shows a short struggle before the man runs out, exactly one minute after being let in the gym by Rodriguez.

Police released a portion of the surveillance footage to the public on Friday afternoon.Within two hours, police received a tip that the man in the video was Weir.

A woman saw surveillance footage on the news and called her boyfriend, saying it was Weir. That man said he has known Weir since childhood and that when he got to work Friday morning, he saw Weir asleep in his car. That man then called police.

The man that called police said Weir had blood on his work boots on Friday morning and Weir said the blood was from a bloody nose.

When asked what had happened, Weir told the man that he had blacked out and couldn’t remember what happened. He also told him that he used to work out with a mutual friend in the apartment building. Weir still has a key fob for entry and later told police that he would use the bathroom in the building next to the gym.

The man convinced Weir to meet him in the parking lot of the Avon Best Buy and then stalled so that police could arrive.

When police talked to Weir, he initially said that he couldn’t remember anything. He then admitted to being the man in the surveillance footage and said he had been in the building before. He admitted to carrying a knife on him and said it was in his vehicle, possibly wrapped in a sweatshirt. He remembered having blood on his hands in the morning.

“I remember swinging at her, I remember getting really angry, and going in there. l remember l was right by the drinking fountain, I remember I was trying to get a drink to calm myself down,” Weir told police. “I think I knocked on it, and she let me in, and I told her thank you.”

“I had my knife in my hand, I remember hitting her and then I ran,” Weir is quoted as having told police. Just one time, she fell down and she said ‘take my stuff.’”

Weir’s vehicle was searched on Sunday. Several items with possible blood on them were found, including a knife, a sweatshirt, jeans, work boots and a pack of cigarettes. A key fob was also located.

An autopsy revealed that Rodriguez was stabbed in the right shoulder/neck area. An artery and her esophagus were cut and she suffered a fractured vertebra.

Friends of Carina Rodriguez tell us the 23-year-old recently moved to Indianapolis from the Dallas area. She was the mother of a baby boy younger than one-year-old. Rodriguez was described as bubbly and full of joy.

One friend told 24 Hour News 8 she was looking forward to seeing Rodriguez later this month as Carina was planning a trip home to Texas for her 24th birthday.

Instead, friends and family came together for a candlelight vigil. It was held Sunday night at a park outside of Dallas.

Family has set up a GoFundMe account online to help with funeral and burial expenses.

Weir is currently being held at the Marion County Jail. He is due in court for an initial hearing on Tuesday at 1 p.m.

People in the area around the apartments are reacting to the woman’s death and the circumstances authorities are sharing.

“That’s weird. Very strange. Things like that happen I really don’t understand why,” said Ben McKibben.

Anna Lee, of Indianapolis, was glad to hear the suspect was caught.

“Well, that’s good. I hope everything works out. That’s horrible. That’s a horrible thing.”